So, recently I’ve been trying to be a bit more organized at home. I’ve made huge strides in purging quite a bit of old crap including paperwork, magazines, every paycheck I’ve ever had, etc. To my credit, there have been multiple trash bags of shredded stuff
disposed of already, but it is a work in progress still.
In the course of this overhaul, I’ve stumbled upon quite a few gems from my past and thought I’d take a moment to stroll down memory lane. I found a journal I received as a high school graduation gift with some entries from that day and the beginnings of my freshman year in college. Some of the things I read today I’d forgotten about for over a decade, almost two now, but others I read were as fresh as that day. I won’t bore you with the details or entertain you with the sordid tales, but I thought I’d share some words of wisdom that I collected and entered into the journal along with some of my ambitions.
I will say that some of these are not exactly how I still feel or what I believe, but keep in mind that this was more than a half-life ago for me and these are the things my 17 year old self thought were important enough to write down. I hope you enjoy and maybe even find some inspiration in these words put together by this kid.
- NEVER ASSUME.
- Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
- Row as if there is no God. Pray as if there are no oars.
- Parents aren’t always right.
- Things will happen in your life that you can’t stop, but it isn’t a reason to shut out the world.
- It’s normal for things to be shitty.
- Don’t be so afraid of the bad things in life that you miss out on all the good things.
- You can run from the disappointments you’re trying to forget, but it’s only when you embrace your past that you truly move forward.
- There’s a purpose for the good and for the bad.
- Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something.
- The greatest reward for your toil is not what you get out of it, but what you become by it.
- What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
- Be what you are and become what you are capable of becoming.
- The trouble with being a good sport is that you have to lose to prove it.
- The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed.
- In three words I can sum up what I’ve learned about life. It goes on.
- Take your time, think a lot, think of everything you’ve got. You will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.
- True friends are hard to find, hard to leave, and impossible to forget.
- The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning.
- It is easy to smile when there is no cause for frown, but the person worth knowing is the one who smiles when his sandwich falls jelly side down.
I also wrote down a few of my ambitions:
- To dream as if I’ll live forever and live as if I’ll die tomorrow
- To always be able to smile at the sun and laugh at the rain
- To help Kevin Arnold finally get Winnie Cooper and to bring the “Little Shirley Beans” album home to Phoebe without breaking it.